Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome
The symptoms of salt water aspiration usually result from inhalation of a fine mist of sea water vapor which may also be similar symptoms to pulmonary barotrauma.
If in doubt, the advice is to treat as the latter.
Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome Cause
- Faulty scuba regulator
- Inadequate mouthpiece seal
- Inadequate purging of regulator or snorkel
Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome Symptoms
- Immediate cough
- Shortness of breath
- Flu-like symptoms such as chest pain, coughing, cyanosis & shivering
Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome Treatments
- Administer 100% oxygen
- Keep warm
- Give analgesics as directed
- Discourage unnecessary movement
- Seek diving medical advice
- If necessary, transport the diver to hospital for assessment and observation
Diving Accidents |> Injuries Overview |> Seasickness |> Drowning |> Hypothermia |> Barotraumas |
Divers also enjoyed reading about...